I Made Taylor Swift’s ME! Dress

Since the music video came out in 2019, I have adored this dress…

I mean… just look at it!

I wanted to get this dress so badly, but it was pretty pricey, to be exact: $4,995.00 pricey.

So, I did what anyone with a passion for sewing and belief that I could be the next Coco Chanel or something, I went on the prowl to make my own Taylor Swift dress. And this… well this is how it went.



The hardest part was finding all of the parts. After two whole days of searching, I finally found everything I needed. If you want to make this dress, then just click on the photos and they’ll take you to the links!

Flowers from Amazon (£9.99)
Organza orange Butterfly for Millinery butterfly decorations image 0
Butterflies from Starboxcraft on Etsy (£3.60)
Image 1 - Girls Women Tulle High Waist Maxi Dress Skater Flared Pleated Midi Skirt White
Skirt from Ebay (£8.98)
Black V Neck Swimsuit
Swimsuit I’m using as a top from New Look (£9.00)

As you can see, it was all relatively affordable and I’m really happy with the quality of each of the products I bought.

After it all arrived (which took about a week or so), I got to work on sorting out how I was going to attach the flowers onto the skirt.

With the help of my Grandma, (thanks Nana!) we both pinned all of the flowers and butterflies where we felt they would go the best. This took us a bit of time, because we had to work out where the colours went best, but we were both really happy with the positioning of all the flowers and butterflies.

I love how all of the colours turned out! I chose these monarch butterflies because they are my favourite type of butterfly and, quite simply, I loved the variation of colours for the flowers.

Ready to sew!

Over the remainder of that evening, whilst on the phone to my boyfriend and whilst watching Netflix, I hand stitched each of the objects onto the skirt. This took some time, but I knew I couldn’t have used my sewing machine due to the delicacy of the fabric. I found it very relaxing, and I made sure that each of the threads matched the flowers exactly. This was a very subtle thing, but I felt it made all the difference, and meant the flowers stood out instead of their fastenings.

NOTE: Before pinning, all the flowers had little plastic parts which were the stigma (the centre of the flower which provides pollen). They had little holes at the bottom so you could attach a wire/”stem” to them, which meant that you could make a bouquet, or a flower crown. This was great, but I couldn’t sew them on! So, I had to remove them, and then sewing them as you would with buttons or sequins, making the thread the stigma instead. I found them to look even better like this, and I could make them as 3D as I wanted!

After I sewed all the flowers onto the dress, I was done! This project didn’t take me long at all. The reason it felt so long was because I had to wait for everything to arrive. Overall, if you have all the materials, you could do this in six hours – tops.

If I was to do this again, I think I would buy a petticoat as I feel that the skirt is not full enough, but that could just be personal opinion.

This is the final result, and I am honestly so happy with how it turned out!! I am now finding any excuse possible to wear it, and I don’t think you can blame me!!

the final result♥️

Please comment and let me know what you think, I was so proud of myself and I love hearing from you lovely lot. 🥰

Have a great rest of your evening!

xoxo, Tati x